Saturday, July 25, 2015

Sometimes I Feel So Deserted





It was a big week for comics over at the AV Club, for whose annual Comics Week I contributed a few articles of note to faithful readers.
I wrote a brief(ish) history of one my favorite superheroes, Ant-Man. Even at 2500 words there was still a lot I had to leave out.

I contributed five write-ups for this week's comics panel, dedicated to the week's theme of "Loser Superheroes." I think we each approached our entries differently - I went for the yuks, mostly. I supposedly got one of my editors to snort milk all over her keyboard, so there's that.

I interviewed one of my favorite comics people - and one of two great inspirations for this site (along with Abhay Khosla) - Jon Morris, in celebration of the release of his first book, The League of Regrettable Superheroes (which I also reviewed here a few weeks back). One thing I didn't get the chance to ask Jon about, because I only found out literally the day after the interview was posted, is that his book (or a special edition thereof) was selected for this month's Loot Crate. Given the type of sales boosts we usually see for Loot Crate orders in the Direct Market, I think its fair to say The League of Regrettable Superheroes is doing pretty well, and a sequel might not be entirely beyond the realm of possibility. Still, if you haven't purchased your copy yet, you should do so at your earliest opportunity.

Even though it's connection to comics is tangential at best, my review of The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker / Pinhead obituary was inexplicably published under the "Comics Week" banner as well. If you like my writing on Hellraiser - of which I am still the Comics Blogosphere's #1 Authority, lest ye forget - this one's for you.

And don't forget to check out my unfairly neglected exclusive excerpt of Harper Lee's Go Set A Watchman, while you're at it. Personally, I don't understand the big controversy - makes sense to me.


3 comments :

DanielT said...

I've lost a small bit of respect for you because of the implication in your interview with Morris that Adam-X is a better character than Skateman. He could be a perfectly workable character if treated in an absurdist manner, say like the GLA. I can't imagine ANY scenario that makes Adam-X a workable character.

Your Pinhead article reminded me that your reviews of the Hellraiser movies are incomplete without one of Revelations. But I assume that, like me, you aren't inclined to watch something even worse than Hellworld (which if not my all-time least favorite movie certainly makes the top five).

Tegan O'Neil said...

The reason why I have such a mad-on for Skateman is that I remember that book being not-so-subtly kind of racist, which, you know, pretty much pushes it past the point of no return.

DanielT said...

Hmmm. I haven't read Skateman since it originally came out (and only then because I knew a guy that bought only Neal Adams comics--and nothing else) so the racism may have escaped young teen me.

But my comment was more about Adam X. Generally with comics characters I've always been either I like that character or I just have no interest in that character. But Adam X I just hated, hated, hated.